Automated Systems of Tacoma (AST), a privately-held, profitable, technology company with over 45 years proven success in continuous innovation and new product development is looking for a Sr. Electrical/Controls Engineer to join our growing team.
This is a project leadership position that requires well-rounded experience in the electro-mechanical design and development of control system for industrial machinery. Key areas of accountability includes hardware system design, control system design, schematic design, quoting, budgeting, resource management, planning, scheduling, training, customer care, quality standards, and supporting the continued improvement of the electrical engineering department.
- Work under guidance from the Principal Controls Engineer.
- Coordinate & attend project meetings, both at AST and customer facilities, and publish meeting notes.
- Design and develop control system design per project requirements. Collaborate with project team members and engineering manager for review and approval.
- Define complete electrical systems, specify electrical hardware, and generate Bills of Material.
- Use AutoCAD drafting software to create detailed electrical schematics and layout components for panel building.
- Use PLC and HMI development software to create custom machine programs and operator interface screens.
- Delegate work load to assigned design and drafting personnel.
- Adhere to AST design, quality, and project management standards.
- Document and publish operations manuals.
- Support and/or assist electrical assembly technicians and field personnel as needed.
- Participate in electrical & controls installation and supervision at customer facilities as needed.
- Understand scope of work and manage design tasks with minimal scope creep.
- Assist with quoting efforts and following up leads for potential projects.
- Visit customer sites to present AST’s capabilities and to gather information on projects as necessary.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures, and ethics codes and ensure that they are communicated and implemented within each project.
- Perform other duties as assigned to insure the success of projects, individuals, and the company.
- Effective Communication
- Pursuit of Perfection
- Minimum four-year bachelor’s degree in an accredited Electrical Engineering curriculum.
- 5+ years working experience as an electrical engineer with extensive experience in programming machine control systems, project management, and supervision.
- Self-motivated, energetic, dependable, honest, and thorough.
- Quality conscious, takes pride and responsibility in the work performed.
- Team attitude; eager to cooperate with others and good interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexible; ability to change direction and handle multiple responsibilities and tasks.
- Familiarity in working with an ISO quality plan a plus.
- Competent with computer software; such as
- Allen-Bradley: RSLogix500, RSLogix5000, RSView32, FactoryTalk Studio, Motion Analyzer, RSNetworx for DeviceNet/ControlNet, Drive Executive
- AutomationDirect: DirectSoft, C-More
- Robots: Staubli, Fanuc
- Microsoft office components (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, MS Project, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Visual C# is a plus.
- Willing to put in extra effort and hours as needed.
- Strong electrical and mechanical aptitude.
- Current Washington State PE License a plus.
AST is proud of the long tenure of our employees. Providing challenging and rewarding work, with opportunities for personal/professional development in a family atmosphere is our key to this longevity. AST is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a full-time position based in Tacoma. Compensation is competitive, including salary, bonus potential, health plan, and vacation time.
For an opportunity to join our growing team, below or send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in joining AST. Please take a brief minute to tell us about yourself and how you fit in our organization.